Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Three Possible Topics

For my research essay I have narrowed the field down to three broad topics. Although I still have a ways to go in figuring out exactly what to write about I feel I have three possible main choices to start from. I would like to base my paper either on Race, Gender or Class.

The first topic I was considering was how race is portrayed in the media. There are hundreds of ways to spin this topic, and for that reason I may not chose it. I was thinking of focusing of one of two areas with in the topic of race. The first one being how minorities are often portrayed as violent gangsters who kill for no reason, while white men are often portrayed as freedom fighters or reluctant heroes who chose violence because they have to. A second way I could spin this topic would be to discuss how in most moves either minorities are helping themselves or whites are helping minorities, there is hardly any movie where minorities help whites. These two negative images in movies result in negative images against minorities.

The second topic I was considering is media's portrayal of gender roles in our society. As a back drop to this I could use how the media targets genders when advertising common house hold items like cleaning supplies. I think that the media sets certain gender roles and plays off of them with claims of "You are not a man/or women if you don't have ....." I think these set roles are bad for our society, especially children.

The third topic would be how class issues come into play within the media. Much like the topic of gender, many commercials are geared towards a certain class or status. This approach makes other classes feel inferior or superior, which helps to promote hatred and bigotry between them. I would argue that because the media portrays certain class groups in a negative light this way of thinking leaks out into society as a whole.

Those are are my three broad thoughts. Any ideas or feedback to help me narrow things down would be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. I like all of these! They all seem like you would have a lot to talk about and be able to back them up with personal encounters. However,I would go with the one about targeting genders! I find that one to be very affective and interesting. Good topics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of your possible topic. I think you should write about the third topic. I think it will be very interesting hearing your thoughts on commercials being geared towards certain class status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will find more information on the first one.Because rasism still there every where around the world.The second topic is interesting too.It is interesting because you will find many examples realated to some jobs that requires genders.Especially out of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first topic about how race is portrayed in the media, and how the movies producers seems to always do focus on the stereotypes of minorities or making white seem superior to minorities by always having the minorities being helped out by whites. It’s almost like indoctrination over long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fan of all three of your topics, they are very original. They can be hot topics especially whenever your talking about race or social class. However, it is important to shed light on those topics and do research on how much the media has to do with with each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like all three topics,and i think you will get lots of information on them.The third one is more interesting.there is no doubt that advertising increses sales,and adverts are tailored to a particular audience. i think it will be interesting to investigate the effects of the such advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the second and third ones more. I feel like the first one will get hard to get specific research like if you were to do it. Maybe try narrowing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David, i like all your topics, I would choose the first or second one. You would have alot to write about

    ReplyDelete